Tucked away in south central Pennsylvania’s scenic Cumberland Valley, this venerable retreat was founded over 200 years ago when eight mineral springs, revered by local Native Americans for their healing properties, were hailed as sources of rejuvenation. The elegant white-columned hotel, treated to a recent $120 million renewal and expansion, features the new 30,000-square-foot Springs Eternal Spa, which uses Bedford’s natural spring waters in its treatments. The resort’s signature indigenous product line, inspired by local herbs and botanicals, are used in combination with the waters, including the Mountain Detox Bath. The resort’s antique golf course is nearly as storied as the mineral springs. The original 1895 course was redesigned by A.W. Tillinghast in 1912, completed by Donald Ross in 1923, and totally restored in 2005. This serene retreat, touted as a “palace in the wilderness” and patronized by seven U.S. presidents, is yet another of the nation’s remote, historic resorts put on the map by its healing waters.