25 years ago Dr. David Bronner, a businessman and former assistant dean at Alabama’s law school, envisioned a golf trail throughout Alabama. He convinced renowned golf course architect Robert Trent Jones, Sr. to leave retirement and build 26 golf courses on 11 sites, and the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail was born.
Since opening in 1992, the RTJ Golf Trail has hosted over 12 million rounds of golf, becoming one of the most popular golf destinations in the United States. The Golf Trail has become a popular spot to more than just the recreational golfers as well. Both the LPGA and PGA Tours host an annual event on the Trail, and the PGA TOUR Champions held an event there from 2006-2010.
“This will be the 20th year in a row that women’s professional golf has been played on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail and the 21st consecutive year for hosting professional golf tournaments,” said Bronner. “When the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail opened in 1992, we wanted to make Alabama a golf destination. Not only have we had millions of golf rounds, legendary golfers have won on the RTJ Trail including Lorena Ochoa, Se Ri Pak, Karrie Webb, Paula Creamer, Christina Kim, Stacy Lewis, Lexi Thompson, Ariya Jutanugarn and several others. Both Lexi Thompson and Ariya Jutanugarn won their first LPGA tournaments while playing on the RTJ Golf Trail, skyrocketing their golf careers.”
In honor of the Trail turning 25, Dr. Bronner and his team are inviting everyone to come out and enjoy $25 rounds on select courses on select days throughout the summer.
- Silver Lakes – Anniston/Gadsden – Thursday, May 25
- Magnolia Grove – Mobile – Thursday, June 15
- Hampton Cove – Huntsville – Thursday, June 29
- Highland Oaks – Dothan – Thursday, July 13
- The Shoals – Muscle Shoals – Thursday, July 20
- Cambrian Ridge – Greenville – Friday, August 4
- Capitol Hill – Prattville – Monday, August 7
- Ross Bridge – Hoover – Monday, August 14
- Grand National – Auburn/Opelika – Thursday, August 24
- Oxmoor Valley – Birmingham – Thursday, August 31
For more information on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail, or to plan your trip, visit www.rtjgolf.com or call 1-800-949-4444. Special golf packages for the 25th anniversary will be offered throughout 2017.